8 Tips to Keeping Your Carpet Looking Great
There are a number of flooring options available today. Carpet cleaning services recommend the following tips to keep yours looking clean and new:
- Leave your outdoor shoes at the door. At least 75% of Americans say they often walk on their carpets while wearing outdoor shoes. This is actually good news for all kinds of flooring from hardwoods to tile. When you walk in from outside, all over the house. Your shoes can also wear down your flooring faster.
- Add protection to your floors. If you get a lot of foot traffic in certain parts of your home, you can put down an area rug. It is much easier to pull up an area rug and give it a deep cleaning rather than pull up your carpet. Using an area rug can keep your flooring clean and reduce the wear and tear. There are other forms of protection you can get to put under chairs and desks.
- Every time you vacuum, put down some baking soda. This a great odor treatment and prevention technique. This is a simple yet effective and inexpensive way to keep everything smelling fresh and clean. Before you start to vacuum an area, sprinkle some baking soda around the room and wait a few minutes. This will help your vacuum pick up more dirt and make your home smell better.
- Make a point to vacuum your home on a regular basis. This is one of the best ways you can make sure your carpet lasts longer and looks better for a longer amount of time. Experts often say that it is a great idea to do this at least three times every week. When left unattended, dirt can be forced into the fibers where it will wear them down and make it harder to clean later. You should also take your time when you are using a vacuum. If you have pets, children, or allergies, the more you vacuum, the better everything will look.
- Do not neglect your bags and filters. No matter what kind of vacuum cleaner you have, it is very important to take care to check, clean, and replace the filters and the bags as often as needed. When the bags are full and the filters are clogged, your vacuum can do more harm than good. These are easy steps to make your vacuum work better.
- Make sure you deep clean your carpets at least once every six months. While it is very important to vacuum a lot, some dirt will get deep into the weave. Many homeowners get to the six-month point and skip the cleaning because everything looks ok. If you wait until everything is really dirty, you can cause more wear and tear than you may realize. You can bring in professional cleaners or you can do it yourself. Both work, you just need to be consistent.
- Make sure you have these items around your home at all times. They really come in handy for stains.
- A stain remover to get rid of stubborn stains.
- Club soda to get rid of a number of problem substances such as red wine and grape juice.
- Staving cream to deal with stains that are not helped by other means.
- Ice cubs to remove chewing gum and dried on chocolate.
- Hydrogen peroxide to get rid of blood.
- A mix of water and liquid dish soaps for a more mild way to clean stains.
- Never let stains just sit. The longer you leave a stain, the harder it will be to remove. If you clean up something as soon as you know a spill has happened, you will have much better luck. If you have to mop the area, you should always blot it. If you do not, you can get the area too wet and that can lead to dangerous mold and mildew.
There are a lot of reasons to put carpet in a home. It can be very comfortable to walk on with bare feet. It is good to insulate a cold home. Many Americans say they love the feel of their feet on a carpet when they first wake up. These tips and tricks can leave yours looking clean and smelling great.